Friday, September 13, 2013

#62

Lefty Sinister will sit in another bar; a wash-out piece of shit, where layabouts and idiots go, or will go, to sip the weakest whiskey in town. Back when his first and only love, L., was still in the Mob, she and him would come down here to break some thumbs to wrangle up data on the next big push. He will choke down the drink like he choked, or will choke, on the tears of losing L. Won't even get to know where she is right now.

Not like he could ever hold any ill will towards her. Best lady there ever was. Or will be.

He'll keep a keen eye open for any of his old contacts. It won't be long before he'll notice Heh. Heh will be a retired eternity god, who manages time. He'll come here often because he doesn't like spending too much. Lefty can help him get a little more cabbage, if he'll cooperate.

He'll scoot over. “Hey, Heh.”

Heh will glance over. “Hey, Lefty!” he shouts. Lefty won't mind the yelling; he'll be known here. Ain't no one here who will want to mess around with him, in any case. “How's it going?”

Not so hot, pal. The boys have hit the vacation road.”

Heh will lean in. “Didja give 'em time off? Or was it, eh...mandatory?”

The latter.”

Know who did it?”

Lefty's eyes will flash hot. “You're Egyptian, right, Heh?”

That I am, chum.”

Well, let's just say it was a copper of a...Fennec disposition. You dig?”

Heh will frown. “Always hated that bastard.”

You 'n' me both, old pal. I've narrowed it down, see. It can only be him. Now, I just need to know what hole he's crawled into.”

Heh will glance aside, with sudden nervousness. “Let's get a booth, eh?” Lefty will nod.

They'll sit down, away from the bar, and from anyone else. Not like anyone else will be paying attention, but Heh knows that Fox stretches far.

I don't think you should follow this lead, old son,” Heh will say.

Why not? I need to find my boys. If they're still alive.”

Heh will look skeptical. “I don't think they are, Lefty. Fox is...” He'll choke a little bit. “Fox is real bad news.”

How d'you reckon?”

Well, eternity's been real fucked lately. Time is shifting. Can't you hear the tense?” Lefty will listen for a second, before shaking his head no. “In any case. Fox w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ...is getting stronger. I don't know what he's up to, because I don't have direct contact. But I can point you to someone else who'll know the scoop.”

Lefty will lean back against the booth wall. “I trust you, Heh. You know that.”

“Well, thanks, friend. You and L., you were some of my best to hang out with.”

“Yeah. And my boys, they're some of my best. So point me towards these guys, and I'll make it worth your while.”

“Sure thing. I'll write you a note, even.”

He'll do so, and Lefty will smile. “Thanks, Heh. That oughta be worth a good pack of clams.”

As he slips over the dough, it'll be Heh's turn to smile. “Ha, ha. Okay! Well, good. Maybe I've got enough now to get me some new video games!” He and Lefty will stand up, and shake hands, as Lefty frowns.

“What the hell are video games?”

Heh will grin wider. “Oh, yeah! They don't exist in this universe. I wouldn't worry about it too much.”

Then he'll step away, leaving the booth empty, 'cept for Lefty.

Good ol' Heh, Lefty'll think. It's almost good the gods are sometimes incomprehensible. I'd hate to think it's just more of us suckers out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment